The Torquay Methodist Churches are [Central (with URC)]; [Chelston]; [St Andrews] and [Victoria Park] - Click on a name to open a page
Click here to read a history of the Methodist Church in Torquay
Torquay is on the northern side of Torbay and is acknowledged to be one of England's premier seaside resorts.
As a resort its history covers less than 150 years but there are features still existing in the town which are identified with considerably earlier times including Kent's Cavern where traces of early man have been found.
Torquay owes its beginning as a modern resort to the Napoleonic Wars when ships of the British Fleet used Torbay as a safe anchorage and houses sprang up on shore to accommodate the wives and families of officers. From the middle of the nineteenth century and with the arrival of the railway in the mid-1850's progress was rapid and today the town is firmly established as one of the leading resort in the South West of England.
Built on seven hills Torquay is famed for the many sub-tropical plants and palms many of which flourish in the open. Whether laden with spring blossom, in the full bloom of summer, or glorious with autumn tints, the public gardens are a scene of great splendour.
Torquay is the birthplace of Agatha Christie with several of her stories being set in and around the town. Click here to find out more about her Torquay connection